That’s Life

It’s been a tumultuous week for me.  On Thursday, I came close to tears in two of my three classes, walked out 30 minutes early in one of them, and yelled at the class in another.  It was a “bad China day” for me.  It made me seriously doubt my teaching abilities and I believed that my students had zero respect for me. I wanted to just curl up in a ball and cry all day.  I had a case of the poor-mes.

On Friday, I taught three of my best classes in terms of English abilities and behavior.  We had a great time with the lesson, the kids were participating, and I genuinely had a great time teaching them.  They renewed my faith in my Chinese students and officially kicked off the start to a great weekend… or so I thought.

It started with a sore throat and a raucous cough.  Alright, no big deal.  I’ll beat that symptom mentally.  Then on Saturday, I found out that I didn’t get the position that I applied for as coordinator next year.  I guess my spot was given away last minute for some reason that the National Coordinator refuses to tell me.  She says she “can’t talk about it”.  I’m not sure what that means, but I don’t like the sounds of that.  It’s a frustrating ordeal, but I believe that everything happens for a reason and something better is bound to turn up.

To help relieve some built up stress/resentment, I had a full-sided football game on Saturday with my foreign team.  Nothing like running around for a few hours to blow off some steam, right?  Surprise, surprise, my team got into yet another fight during the game.  This time, the game was getting a bit fiesty and our team was angry that the referees (we had three!) were not keeping the game safe.

It all climaxed when one of my teammates got blatantly elbowed in the back by the opposing side.  He turned and slapped the other guy in the face (yes, slapped), and after a few minutes, the guy fell to the ground, rolling around and crying.  Then the cops were called for reasons unknown to us.  When they arrived, they asked why we called them since nobody was fighting at the time and it was just a football game.  Sorry for wasting your time, officer.  After about 30 minutes of yelling/cursing/rolling around on the ground crying, we finished the last 7 minutes of the game.  During this time, I got a hard elbow to the face, resulting in my team screaming at the referee and crowding around me.  No big deal, guys–we got the call in our favor.  I’m chill.  Here are the pictures of my now swollen lip.  Mike insists that you can’t notice it and it doesn’t look bad at all.  Yeahhhhh right.  I look like a monster.
One of my teammates also got kicked in the head.  He’s a tall fella, probably around 6’0 and he wasn’t bending down when it happened.  I wish I had a picture of his head because the lump was protruding off of his forehead by about an inch and was about 1.5 inches in diameter.  He looked like a troll.  We ended up tying the game, so it wasn’t a completely wasted effort.

The silver heart necklace Mom gave me also just broke.  It literally happened when I was writing this post.  Poo.


This entry was posted in China, Education, Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s